Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of The Palms at Juban Lakes Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana.
One way you can put your fully equipped kitchen to good use is by mixing up a big pot of macaroni and cheese, and this recipe for Classic Macaroni and Cheese combines all the quintessential ingredients of your favorite, nostalgic dish. Made with affordable ingredients you probably already have lying around your apartment, this recipe is as budget-friendly as it is satisfying. To get started, check out the ingredients list below.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut in cubes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or Colby jack
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly cook the macaroni pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cream cheese until well combined.
- Then, stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until the mixture is smooth – about 5 minutes. This creates a delectable base for your cheese sauce.
- Slowly pour milk into the sauce base, stirring as you go. Keep stirring until everything is smooth and slightly boiling. This will take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until the cheese is well-combined with the other ingredients.
- After you’ve drained the macaroni pasta and returned it to its pot, pour the cheese sauce mixture over the pasta and stir gently. Serve hot with extra cheese on top if you’d like.