It’s important to keep a well-stocked pantry. This way, you aren’t tempted to eat out and spend money you do not have on takeout. Having nutritious foods on hand will also help you more aptly reach your nutritional goals for each day. Take steel-cut oats, for instance. They make for a wonderful, protein-filled breakfast each morning, and better yet, you can prepare them in advance. This recipe for Hearty Oat Porridge, specifically, takes virtually no time to prepare and is easy to store in your refrigerator. Warm it up every day and add a dollop of Greek yogurt or nut butter to boost the protein, if desired. Bon Appetit!
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a slow cooker, combine the apple juice, water, almond milk, cinnamon and allspice and whisk.
- Add the steel-cut oats and millet and stir, then cover and set on low.
- Cook the oat porridge for 7 hours.
- When the mixture is thick, remove the lid and stir to mix well, then stir in the berries.
The Palms at Juban Lakes Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana