Limoncello is known for being sweet, smooth, and bright. With zesty lemon and sweet granulated sugar, limoncello is a natural fit for cocktails or flavored sodas. That’s also what makes limoncello an ideal DIY gift for the pandemic mixologists or foodies in your life. Mix up this recipe for DIY Limoncello and pair it with a bottle of champagne for a ready-made gift – or, keep it for yourself and enjoy it safely until spring.
You will need:
• 11 lemons
• 1 750-ml bottle of Everclear, or other 140+ proof grain spirit
• 3 cups granulated sugar
• 3 cups boiling water
1. Peel wide strips of lemon zest (avoiding as much of the white pith as possible) with a sharp vegetable peeler; reserve lemons for another use. Add the lemon peels to a 1-liter (or larger) airtight container and top off with the Everclear.
2. Let stand at room temperature in a dark place for at least 3 days and up to 1 week.
3. After the infusing period is over, stir together the sugar and boiling water until the sugar has dissolved. Allow cooling. Combine the lemon peel/Everclear solution with the sugar syrup in an airtight container (or two containers if needed) and refrigerate for 1 day.
4. Strain out the lemon peels and bottle. Add label and bow to your bottle, if giving as a gift.
5. To store, place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Whether you prefer to create new home décor or get your hands dirty outside of your apartment, The Palms at Juban Lakes Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana has you covered with the coolest DIYs around!