For a hearty and satisfying meal that appeals to everyone and comes together in less than an hour, turn to this recipe for Loaded Potato Soup! Comfort and indulgence are the names of the game when you recreate this classic meal for your loved ones. This soup features a rich broth and all your favorite baked potato toppings, like bacon, ham, cheddar cheese, and green onions. Check out the recipe below.
• 1 package (12 oz) bacon
• 1 ½ cups chopped onion
• 6 cups chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
• 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled, cubed
• 2/3 cup butter
• ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 4 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup diced cooked ham
• 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
• 2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (10 oz)
• ¾ cup sliced green onions
1. In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Cook onion in bacon drippings over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until almost tender.
2. In a 6-quart Dutch oven, mix onion, broth, and potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
3. Meanwhile, in the same skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the milk. Pour milk mixture into potato mixture. Add the remaining 2 cups milk, the salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
4. Stir in ham, half of the bacon, the sour cream, 2 cups of the cheese, and 1/2 cup of the green onions. Cook until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
5. Evenly top individual servings with remaining bacon, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1/4 cup green onions.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at The Palms at Juban Lakes Apartments in Denham Springs, Louisiana encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.